Check out @SeaShepherdPaul’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/SeaShepherdPaul/status/998209915725414401?s=09
Dear Prime Minister Trudeau and Minister McKenna,
Canada has a plastic pollution problem. It’s time for federal action.
We can’t rely on businesses to voluntarily “do the right thing” so long as making new plastic from fossil resources is cheap, the cost of collecting and recycling plastic is high, and dumping plastic into the environment is “free”. We need strong, standardized rules from coast-to-coast.
Canada’s National Plastics Strategy must include:
- Bans on plastics that are toxic or hard to recycle
- Regulations that mandate shed-free fabrics to keep harmful microfibers out of our waterways
- Standardized, legally enforceable provincial recycling targets that ensure 85 per cent of single-use plastics are recycled by 2025
- A national minimum of 75 per cent recycled content for single-use plastics
- Laws that make companies fully financially and operationally responsible for collecting and recycling the materials they put on the market
Our oceans, rivers and lakes are drowning in plastic pollution. This environmental crisis won’t be solved by passing the responsibility to residents and municipalities. And we certainly won’t solve it with voluntary charters.
Canada, use your G7 presidency to put an end to plastic pollution.
I want a plastic-free environment by 2025.
ACT NOW And SIGN HERE